Monday, April 23, 2012

Enjoyment Wars

I've discovered that Tara and I really enjoy Science together.  It's one of my favorite subjects, though I don't think any of my former teachers would believe me. 

We are working through a course in Marine Biology created for middle-schoolers.  It's a good fit for a 7th-8th grader.  One of my 7th-8th graders anyway.  We both get so into it and I really think it's just because we both really like science.

I've also discovered Jake really enjoys listening to literature.  He loves a good story; especially when it's well written and humorous.  I am relieved that gratuitous, obvious humor, though gets a laugh from his 11 year old self, also is passed over quickly.  He does appreciate a well set up comedy.

Another discovery is Elaina's propension for crafts.  I wish I knew how to guide her better here.  She would choose any study if there's crafting involved.  If I can create a craft out of algebra she'd be an engineer for sure....one of those architectural design pads maybe?

So here's my rub:  I just can't seem to organize all this into a day.  Or rather, I do organize it into a day but that's the whole day. 

Today, for instance, I covered the essential math for the three and writing for Jake.  This was the whole morning.  Tara's science and our read aloud was the rest of the afternoon.  Elaina crafts as she listens. 

Where's the spelling, the grammar, the writing for Tara and Elaina? 

I feel I am constantly at odds with what's the priority.  And the time management.  And satisfying everyone's learning style and enjoyment without missing some important element.

Read. Understand. Write. Express. Calculate. Compute. Understand. Express. Enjoy.

This is how we're functioning.  Those are my basics. 

It's all moving so slowly, though.  It's moving slowly between parenting a high schooler and a college student, a parttime job with almost full time hours and a toddler who sneaks soda out of the pantry and ice cream out of the freezer while I'm distracted with read alouds, projects and the deep sea. 

The goal:  To instill a desire to learn, the know-how to learn and the intelligence to discern truth and express it with conviction and perhaps eloquence?

I'm still working on myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks :)