This week and last we've been reading The Great Brain, by John D. Fitzgerald. They've learned about the differences between outhouses and waterclosets, that a bathroom really was a room where you bathed and watching a guy dig a hole in your backyard is as fascinating to young boys today as it was in the 19th century.
They also learned about intolerance, racism and where the term "knock your block off" and "chip on your shoulder" originated.
We read that kids have always had chores. We learned how to make ice cream. If I were a really good homeschooler I would have actually made ice cream with them but instead we just bought it and ate that.
We talked about money and inflation.
We talked about bullys, fighting, pride and charity.
In between all this everyone kept current in their Math books. Jake really does well when we go over a chapter together and then he follows up independently with Kahn Academy. I like Khan, too, because his presentations take it a few steps further and Jake seems to have no trouble since he's been introduced to it with me in the text.
It was the last week of Art class and everyone is mighty disappointed but it was fun to look through all the projects to bring to a homeschool art show at a library at the end of the week. Looking forward to next year's class. It's a keeper.
Jake went to his writing class but missed the Math Circle he usually attends the same afternoon because I had an appointment and just couldn't swing getting him there. I'm still not sure I love this Math Circle for him but he was disappointed that he missed it.
All in all most of our homeschooling has been coming from our read aloud; a real living book. I could probably pull every subject out of this book, including math. I borrowed it from the library but would like to purchase a copy. I'd like to purchase the copy I borrowed because it's old and crackly and I love that : )
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks :)