Still working from workboxes keeps everyone on task for their independent work and keeps me on task for the things I consider need to be gone over everyday. Math is moving along : ) Makes me mother happy. The whiteboard has been a school-saver for Jake. He works his practice set out on the whiteboard and for some reason, it makes all the difference in his speed and accuracy. He's even able to catch his own mistakes and asks for help.
Spelling is another workbox filler. I've seen that working on spelling together, everyday, is helping Jake's & Elaina's overall writing/composition skills and boosting their confidence tremendously. The word-wall helps, too.
Reading together and reading alone is another must for me everyday. History is the read together right now. I just can't seem to fit in any novels to read aloud together with my new schedule. So, I'm reading aloud SOTW in addition to a short story about the lesson and giving each kid their own stories pertaining to our history to read themselves. Can I just confide that I am so thrilled Jake finished his reading in one week?
Having everyone work in their grammar books is another everyday must. For Jake & Elaina this never takes more than 20 minutes working with me. For Tara, it's more intensive so we go through together mostly.
Friday I had intended to continue with WriteShop with Jake & Elaina. To expand it for Tara I introduced Hyperboles and was going to have her (and them) incorporate the use of hyperbole in the writing project.
It took a different turn.
Everyone gave great examples of hyperbole. Then we talked about how hyperbole is used in advertising. Somehow, by the end of the morning, we had three commercials recorded on the iTouch.
What. a. riot.
I was laughing so hard the tears flooded the set. (get it?)
I wanted to post them but the actors/directors/writers insisted that I do not! Insisted!
I made them show their dad and their aunt & uncle who stopped in Friday night.
I do have permission to share that the products being presented in an exaggerated form were: Doggie Love Dog Food that will make your dog's heart explode with love, Shake & Boom Pancake Mix that is so golden you would think your teeth will break (but they won't) and Demented Scented Nailpolish with scents like "Oh My Gosh, I Burnt My Toast" and will fill the entire house!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks :)